Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Moooovies - Machete and Red

I felt like writing today, but didn't have a subject. 
Hummmm.
I found I was still snickering about Machete so I figured hell...nobody give a shit anyway? 
So here my Pointlessly Self Indulgent reviews of RED and Machete.

K, so I watched a couple of movies, and that has got to be some sort of an understatement as I am on a first name basis with the employees at the local Blockbuster.  I watch more then a couple of movies as a rule, but I digress
.
Right first was ‘RED’ http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/red/
Now I like this type of movie, I am not going to delude anybody and mention crap about Academy Awards and the like; I am simply going to say that this movie entertained.  Sure as many noted the first half hour was a little slow but to me it really set the speed for what Frank Moses was going through in retirement. Kind of reminds me of a conversation between Frodo and Bilbo (maybe Sam? Can’t find the quote right now) the bit about regular life just not being the same after adventure.
When the action does ramp up you have a cast that has not trouble carrying it, and it’s nice to see some real quality actors in what some might say is a throw-away roll.  Bruce Willis is just doing his action thing but John Malkovich (I’m gonna get the pig!) and Helen Mirren are great. Morgan Freeman who could probably make me care about lint rollers if he where to do a TV spot for them, I just like him and his characters.  There is a little dose of romance as well, chemistry is mediocre but it’s more like a couple of sub plots to the rest of the story, thankfully not getting the flick into RomCom territory.
Finally: John C. Reilly was originally cast as ‘Marvin Boggs’ and Malkovich stepped in just prior to shooting, for me?  Nice save; Reilly would have been too goofy for me…common Cal Naughton Jr. a super spy?  No way.

Movie Number 2:
Nice.  Really loved the floating heads in the opening scene, I did a lot of laughing out loud at the absurdity of this move. Director Robert Rodriguez (Desperado, Grindhouse) mentions that he had wanted to develop Danny Trejo in Machete since first seeing him in Desperado he also cites ‘The Killer (John Woo)’ and an influence, the movie has a similar flow to it.
Another loaded cast to…a little on the ‘B’ side Don Johnston, Cheech Marin…so much fun. It was neat to see Robert de Niro is this type of roll I am always surprised when you see a Hollywood heavy in movies like this, I guess everyone needs to let their hair down.
Understand there was little stretching done in the acting arena for any of the players it was more about pouting, grimacing, making faces and blowing shit up.  There is a great scene at the finally where Machete jumps a ridiculously stretched Harley through a tower of flames while firing a Gatling Gun (with no bullet magazine I might add) at a crowd of right-wing-racist-whiteys…priceless.  Suspend my sense of reality?  Hell Ya. 
Oh and just to make sure it’s a proper B-type-movie there are the required topless ladies. So if that offends your mom…don’t watch it with her.
And and…snicker…
Lindsay Lohan is a junkie in the movie…is that even acting?

Both Fun, both worth the bucks for rental.

No comments:

Post a Comment