Ok, All you piss-ant whining about Justin Bieber…shut up.
Let me preface this by saying I am not any sort of a Bieber aficionado and my understanding of Mr. Bieber is based on news footage and internet media so I probably rival the loudest whiners in Bieber knowledge.
First off teen sensations have been around since Elvis? No further back, Benny Goodman, so the Bieber phenomenon is nothing new. Shall we trip down memory lane? NKOTB, Backstreet Boys, Hanson, Bay City Rollers, Kiss, Elvis, Beatles, Frank Sinatra, I could go on there are lots. Every few years a new artist will bulldoze their way into our lives and dominate popular media. As life becomes less private and our world more invasive we will meet these stars and have all the fine details surrounding them presented to us in full Technicolor.
So for now we have Justin Bieber and what about all the complaints?
He can’t perform.
He doesn’t write his own songs
He doesn’t play an instrument
He is annoying
He has funny hair.
1) He Can’t Perform: Really? Come on now, he can fill an arena, he’s got to be doing something right. Right? Your personal taste has nothing to do with his ability to do his job. Watching Oasis is like watching paint dry but nobody bothers them about it.
2) He doesn’t write his own songs: Big deal, the following artists don’t either: Aerosmith, Kiss, Celine Dion, Toni Braxton, Leanne Rimes, Joe Cocker, Roy Orbison, Whitney Houston, Tina Turner, Trisha Yearwood, Meatloaf, Cher, Bon Jovi, Garth Brooks, Billie Myers, Ricky Martin, Hanson, Joan Jett, Elvis, Billy Joel, Ray Charles, Jerry Lewis. Look up Diane Warren (http://www.realsongs.com/), Desmond Child ( http://desmondchild.com/ ) and Otis Blackwell (http://www.spectropop.com/remembers/OBobit.htm ) and that is just the tip of a rather large iceberg
Nashville and have warehouses full of song writers. Sure some of those artists ‘collaborated’ with these songwriters but I am sure Bieber has his two cents to throw in and if he doesn’t who cares? Remember ‘I Will Always Love You’ by Whitney Houston? Dolly Parton wrote that in 1973…12 million copies later everyone is happy. New York
3) He doesn’t play an instrument: Right….he sings (try to tell any singer they aren’t a musician because they don’t play an instrument) plays drums, piano, guitar and trumpet.
4) He’s annoying: Sure. But so is Metal and I love metal…dance music irks the shit outta me but I understand the ‘art’ behind it. Again this is personal taste boys and girls think of a better reason to dislike the kid.
5) He has funny hair: Two words Jennifer Aniston, man a lot of ink has and is still spent talking about her hair. Really, who cares because he cut it off anyway? As an aside to jolt your teen idol memory didn’t our favorite train wreck Britney shave her bean to the wood? Too much time is spent by to many people on Hollywood Hair.
I think the kid is a star. At least he is not another trumped up American Idol wanna-be. You look at his history (it’s there to be seen) and you can see he was born with talent. There will always be ‘pop’ stars and screaming tween girls crying and passing out for artists. Really older, cooler, folk should get over it because the kid has some substance. The internet is full of kids growing up online with no concept of privacy, posting the most insignificant or brilliant videos to YouTube and tweeting incessantly. If Bieber wasn’t that good he would be relegated to the freak show that YouTube has become.
There is something there, one man saw it and stalked the kid and now millions of screaming kids see it as well. I personally don’t get it, which speaks to the fact that I don’t know his music and have very little interest in pursuing it. He seems well adjusted, smart and has an entourage of good people all willing to make a buck. He has taken the internet, the mother of his career, and used it to move forward; he tweets, he faces, he talks to his fans.
So will he be a coke-head-freak-out driving around Stratford Ont. with his son in the trunk? Who knows? That fact that people qualify their dislike for him this way is tiring and lacks imagination, Lindsay Lohen has got that covered and Britney does a damn good job of it as well.
But who is to say he won’t blossom like other child stars? Natalie Portman comes to mind…she was 12 in ‘The Professional’ ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110413/ ) wasn’t she? She’s turned pretty well, and what about Drew Berrymore (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000106/ ) even after a decidedly rough childhood she has come around nicely.
My knowledge of the kid is from interviews, news, and other media I haven’t been to a show and if a song came on the radio you have to tell me it was him. Considering that, I probably have heard his tunes and like them. I have a bit of a weak spot for canned pop.
Personally I wish the kid all the success in the world and I would love to have his money. If you don’t like him change the station back to your 24h Phish channel.
Now I’m going to listen to some Yngwie Malmsteen because he is truly annoying… on so many levels.