Monday, February 14, 2011

8x10

I met an old friend last night, it was strange being told she used to be mine and getting to plug and crank up, I missed her.
God bless Ampeg for making the seminal bass cabinet, there really isn't anything like it...really.
http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt810e/index.html
GV told it was my old cab, said that players loved it, it was warmer then the new ones....I should steal the fucker back.
It wasn't like I looked at it and hundreds of 'good' memories came flooding back, it wasn't that at all, as a mater of fact it was more like; ‘oh ya, that’s what rock bass is supposed to sound like.’  Sure you can have you Trace, SWR, Bag End, Peavey, G&K whatever, but nothing pushes sound like an 8x10.
There is a reason that for years this has been the cabinet in the backline of hundreds of thousands of shows. So many pros choose this cabinet as their choice for amplification, it has the attack that you want, the lows that you need and the sheer brilliant size to move all that air.  Guitarists add volume, bass players add speakers.
In the rental room I was in the had an G&K 800RB ( http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products_rb_series.html ) I love my old Traynor Mono Bloc-B but a RB gives so much clean power that when left relatively flat the amp nicely relays what the bass sounds like.
I remember working my way through various cabinets/amp combinations looking for the right sound, and then getting ripped off on an extremely fragile ‘75 SVT head.  But one day I plated it on top of an 8x10 and the light went on.  I sold the SVT because it was a pain it sounded great but was constantly breaking, I lost my shirt on that stupid amp, but years later I finally bought the cabinet. I carried that monster up stairs and pulled it up onto stages, it was worth it.
Needless to say, regardless of the good tunes and company I was perfectly happy to just stand there and play quarter notes, *sigh*
That was close to a religious experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment