Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bieber revisited ('Never Say Never' review)

All right look at this;
Now I'm no drummer, I can do that... But I am a hell of a lot older, that this cat was around four when this was filmed blows my mind. As a Dad I'd like to think I have a little experience with 4 years olds. Like I said in my other post this kid has something going on.  

The movie is a fairly straight ahead concert/biography movie, it's not all that special but what I have come to appreciate is Justin's talent; he sings, he dances, he plays drums, he plays piano, and what the hell? He actually seems like a nice grounded kid. 

He seems to make time for his fans and appears to be genuinely appreciative of the people around him and his fame. Ya he's a cheese bag but I am sure we all where at 14...damn, I'm still a cheese bag.
I like the movie: 
What the hell?  It's like a universal requirement that if you don't fall into the demographic for kiddy/teeny pop you supposed to hate it, why is that?   As I mentioned in my other Bieber blog so many 'older' more 'mature' folk get on the hater band wagon on stuff like this....bah!  I know the words for NKOTB songs and bought Britney CDs (before she lost her mind) and oh ya... Spice Girls *gasp* Durran Durran, The Beach Boys and The Beatles...oops said to much.

On top of all that rebellion again's my metal roots I love behind the scenes movies.  Seeing back stage and into the lives of rockstars is entertaining and often humanizes a person who has been propped up to 'god' status by popular media.  Justin is just a kid with an incredible talent, he has to do all the crap kid stuff on top of the adult crap.  He has a tutor (you have to watch not to miss it, but there is the obligatory shot of books, pencils and studying) he pranks his co-workers, hangs out with his friends and has awkward girl moments

This cracks me up...I love her reaction ('they'll take me to jail').

The movie is basically the lead up to the Madison Square Gardens show, sold out of course, so you get all the drama of an artist getting ready to play a very important show.  Not many artists get to sell out the Garden (and they remind you of this constantly) so it is kinda cool. Watching him you gotta note that he sounds like he is really singing, nice.

There is a little auto tune on the acoustic bit while he hovers above the crowd at one point, but is it an effect or is it a repair? Don't care, live artist used to be forgiven for vocals that where slightly out, now it seems unforgivable even when a excellent singer mess up. Then there's Britney...
Watch it if you can....I  can't.  Granted she's running around and dancing like a show monkey but it's rough for sure.  Still... she's gone through a lot more then Bieber has, hopefully his people will keep his head where it should be.
  
There is one point on the movie where Scooter tells a story of Justin turning to him during a Michael Jackson tribute and pointedly asks a favour of the guy that found him on YouTube; it's noted the world took Michael's child hood away, Justin asks Scooter to not let that happen to him.  The kid is aware. 

There is no spoiler here...he plays the Garden and does so as any pro would.   And that's just it, he's a pro, professional artist, professional money maker. 

Nay-sayers give it a rest.
If your jealous get over it.
Like any artist he deserves to be where he is, he traveled in a van, some said there was no market and some hate him...although I can't understand why.

If you like concert movies, you should like this.  It's no Last Waltz but it's a good way to kill a couple of hours.  Of course it is kids safe, marketed correctly and all.

P.S
'Live(Evil)' Black Sabbath just came on the Radio....DIO, we don't do live like that anymore.  We've done it to ourselves, damn you pro-tools, damn you to hell!
damn....

No comments:

Post a Comment